Monday, January 14, 2013

A Clean Brush is a Happy Brush

As I've said before, brushes are just as important as the paint you are using when doing a piece.

 Not only is it worth it to throw in some extra dough on brushes but cleaning them right after use is the most important rule of dealing with paint brushes. It will allow their life expectancy to increase and I know you don't want to be dropping your hard earned cash anymore then you have to at the art store.

When dealing with gouache, acrylic and water color paints its a must to keep water next to you. Change the water once it gets to the point of murky. I just learned that if you keep a piece of bar soap helps as well, especially when using a brush during the piece and you're changing the color of paint with the same brush.

With oil paint just make sure you have turpentine or paint thinner handy. All you have to do is dip the brush in either solutions and wipe it clean with a rag or towel.

Once you are finished with your brush completely for the day head to a sink. I use the sink in my basement because it can get a bit messy. Warm water with soap or detergent and make sure you rinse and wash out all the paint. There should be any color in the water when you put your fingers through the hairs of the brush. I take regular paper towel and squeeze the hairs of the brush with it just to make sure I don't put them away wet.

There are brush cleaners sold at art stores and even brush cleaners. I do not own one of these, I don't mind cleaning them myself. But if you're interested in looking into it I know one is called the brushmate and i know Winsor and Newton has a few different care products for your brushes.




For those of you that think it is too late and your brushes have expired due to poor use I attached a video I found on youtube on how to revive your brushes and bring them back to life!


No comments:

Post a Comment