Sunday, February 10, 2013

Water and Nupastel? Who knew?!

In a previous blog post I talked about nupastels, what I left out was there is another technique when dealing with media.

If you add water to the chalky media it smoothes it out and makes it look as though it was paint. It's an actually really fun way to work the nupastels.

What you will need for this project is either illustration board preferably cold press or water color paper. The only down fall with watercolor paper is that it tends to ripple and bubble the paper from the amount of water that's usually used when using this technique.

Nupastel's of course are need, as I said in my previous post prismacolor nupastels are my favorite. A set of 24-48 works fine. It's nice to have some variety with this media.

Watercolor brushes, I personally prefer round tip brushes but if your piece is a landscape or architectural element flat headed brushes work really well.

A watercolor palette with recessed areas where you can mix water with the nupastel.

A container that holds water and like all other wet medias, try to keep the water clean while painting.

Starting off, I start with a white nupastel and create a basic outline of whatever it is I am drawing. After that begin to make the marks on the piece. You don't have to get to detailed just yet because once you add water with a brush it blends the colors.

Different from my last technique this should have a smooth finished look. The great thing with working with nupastels this way is that you can work on the piece while it is wet or dry. The marks will be different though. With wet the marks seem to bleed a bit.

No different from drawing chalk on a wet drive way.

Once you are finished with your wet nupastel piece, spray your choice of workable fixatif over it to protect it from harm. I use krylon workable fixatif.

The piece I have for an example is actually part of the series of the other nupastel portrait I posted previously in the "collect your patience for nupastel" blog post.



No comments:

Post a Comment